Run Madtown works with the Madison Convention & Visitor’s Bureau for hotel room blocks. See our lodging page for more information.
Run Madtown will offer a cash prize purse of the following amounts to the below winners:
Twilight 10K Overall Winners
1st place male/female – $250
2nd place male/female – $125
3rd place male/female – $75
Madtown Half Marathon Overall Winners
1st place male/female – $1000
2nd place male/female – $500br />
3rd place male/female – $250
Madtown Half King/Queen of the Hill (fastest time up Edgewood Hill, based on chip time)
1st place male/female – $250
2nd place male/female – $125
3rd place male/female – $75
Rules & Regulations
- Overall placing and money will be determined by Gun Time.
- King/Queen of the Hill placing and money will be determined by Chip Time.
- Participants must complete their race to be eligible for prize purse.
- All prize money will be distributed post-event after all W-9s have been collected and scoring has become official.
- Participants that are currently NCAA eligible athletes or under the age of 18 are not eligible for prize money due to eligibility restraints with the NCAA, High School Associations and AAU.
- Run Madtown does not support the use of any illegal or banned substances.
Finisher medals will be given to all participants of the Madtown Half Marathon, Twilight 5K, Twilight 10K and Kids Race who complete the race. Additional finisher medals available for those who enroll in a Challenge series event and complete all events associated with their series.
Madtown Half Marathon*
1st thru 5th Male and Female – Madtown Half Overall Winner Award
Masters Class (40+) – Top 5 Male & Female Finishers – Madtown Half Masters Award
1st thru 5th Male and Female – Twilight 10K Overall Winner Award
1st thru 5th Male and Female – Twilight 5K Overall Winner Award
1st thru 3rd Wheelchair – Madtown Half Overall Winner Award
Sorry, we do not currently offer awards for the Challenge series.
Awards by Age Group
Age group award medals will be given to the top three male and female for the Madtown Half Marathon, Twilight 5k and Twilight 10K in the following age categories: 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69 and 70 and over. Awards will be mailed out after the event.
Gun time will be used for the overall prize winners (top overall male and female and top masters male and female), but net time (the time recorded by the timing chip) will be used for all age-group scoring.
• Madtown Half Marathon = 13.1 miles
• Twilight 10K = 6.2 miles
• Twilight 5K = 3.1 miles
• Kids Race ~0.7 miles
• Conquer the Capital 19.3 Challenge = 19.3 miles (Twilight 10K + Madtown Half)
• Conquer the Capital 45.5 Challenge = 45.5 miles (Twilight 10K + Madtown Half + Madison Marathon)
• Half and Half Challenge = 26.2 miles (Madtown Half + Madison Half Marathon
Packet Pick Up Questions
Sorry, we are unable to mail race packets.
You have 2 options:
- Someone else may pick up your packet with a copy of your drivers license (paper or digital).
- You may add on the Will Call Packet Pick-up service to your registration by following the instructions here.
More information coming soon!
Race Day Questions
Pace times are based on gun time, not GPS or chip time. If you fall behind the pace, you will be directed to the sidewalks off the official course and may continue at your own risk but without race support. You will not receive a finisher medal.
There are a bank of restrooms available near the start line, near the Post-Race Party and at every aid station along the course.
There will be ambulances and medical personnel at the start line, finish line and on roving bikes on the course. If you need medical attention, find the nearest aid station, bearing in mind you may have just passed it. If you are not able to make it to an aid station by yourself, notify a volunteer, spectator or another runner to notify the nearest aid station of your location and condition. Aid stations will have the ability to contact the race’s medical staff to provide you with help.
See our Aid Station information for details on locations and products.
The Twilight 5K and Twilight 10K courses are open until 9:45pm on Saturday; the Madtown Half Marathon course closes 3.5 hours after the last runner crosses the start line on Sunday.
For the safety of all participants as well as for the spectators, we cannot permit any non-participants to enter any part of the race course or finish line and recovery chute. Runners who disregard this rule will be disqualified.
Race Day Parking: All downtown parking ramps will be open Saturday and Sunday. Street parking is also available for a fee on Saturday and is free on Sundays. See parking ramp locations.
Yes, gear check is available. Be sure you put your bib number on your bag if using this service!
Please use either the official race bag or a bag no larger than a large plastic grocery bag for Gear Check.
For security reasons, please store your bags at the official Gear Check area ONLY. Do not leave bags at other locations in the Start/Finish area or anywhere along the course.
Saturday, May 26
6:30PM – Kids Race
8:00PM – Twilight 5K
8:10PM – Twilight 10K
Sunday, May 27
7:00AM – Madtown Half Marathon
The MYLAPS BibTag ThinTag is an ultra-thin, lightweight, disposable chip that is applied to the back of your race bib. The ThinTag has a sponge that provides the necessary space between your body and the tag in wet conditions. This ultra-thin sponge has the unique feature that it only expands when it becomes wet. The BibTag system cannot be altered in any way prior to or during the event. Please DO NOT try to remove it. Please make sure you wear your bib on the FRONT of your body and on the outside of your clothing at all times during our events. Doing anything different may reduce the readability of your results.
The Kids Race is not timed and participants will not receive a bib, chip or results.
Average High: 70 degrees F
Average Morning Rel Humidity: 79.0%
Average Low: 45 degrees F
Average Afternoon Rel Humidity: 50.0%
Mean Temp: 57 degrees F
Typical Sky Cover: Overcast
We understand that many runners need headphones to aid in their running concentration, or distraction. Headphones are allowed but not recommended for safety purposes. Dogs or animals of any kind, and bicycles (aside from our bike escorts) are not allowed, strictly for safety reasons. Strollers are allowed ONLY in the Twilight 5K race.
Colored flags will be located at each aid station, on all race vehicles at the intersections on the course, and at the finish line area to alert runners to changing course and weather conditions. In cases of emergency, please follow the instructions below. In rare instances, it may be necessary to either close the race course or re-route participants. If this occurs, it is being done for the safety of the participants and volunteers.
Extreme and dangerous conditions or course emergency. Participation stopped, seek shelter immediately. Follow directions from public safety officials, race staff and volunteers.
The race is stopped. Finish times will not be published and no awards are given after a red flag. Runners should go to the nearest aid station for shuttle transfer to the finish line.
Less than ideal conditions
Slow down & drink plenty of fluids
Enjoy the event, but stay alert!
If race day conditions exist that could be potentially dangerous, Run Madtown follows the below protocol:
- Races may be delayed up to 45 minutes.
- Runners and spectators will be notified of conditions via:
- Text messages — Runners must have registered for text updates at the time of registration.
- Radio broadcast on WTDY (AM channel 1670 or FM channel 106.7)
- Online at runmadtown.com, Facebook, Twitter
- Live, on-site announcements
- If conditions improve or are expected to improve after scheduled start time, the race will begin approximately 30 minutes after race officials have been given an “ALL CLEAR” determination by the appropriate authorities.*
- If conditions do not improve or are not expected to improve in order to start after a delay, the race may be canceled completely.**
*Permits/requirements from the City of Madison do not allow the course to stay open beyond permitted times.
Yes! Please read below:
On or Before May 1 – Online Transfers
- Online transfers must be COMPLETED by May 1 at 5:00pm CT.
- There is a $15 fee (plus processing) to transfer a registration to another individual.
- All those interested in transferring must find their own buyer.
- The buyer must sign up for the race that the seller was originally registered for.
- NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN. Instead, we charge the seller the transfer fee and any other race fees are handled by the buyer and seller.
Transfers After May 1,
Any transfers after this time will need to be completed on-site at our Run Madtown Expo & Packet Pick Up for a $25 fee.
The new registrant must pick up the old registrant’s bib and shirt (with a copy of their photo ID) and bring it to the Troubleshooting booth. There we will register the new runner and issue a new bib. Shirt exchanges may not be possible.
Yes! ALL runners MUST be officially registered with a race-issued bib that is visible to race officials. Any “bandits” may face a stiff fine and be banned for life from participating in any future Run Madtown or Madison Marathon events. Pacing another without a bib is not permitted. Thank you for officially registering and for supporting our race and charity partners.
Online registration closes after Wednesday, May 23 at 11:59PM.
Race Weekend registration will be available on-site only at the Run Madtown Expo & Packet Pick Up. Shirt size is not guaranteed for expo registrants. Please note: There is no weekend-of registration after the Run Madtown Expo & Packet Pick Up closes.
Kids Race: 3-12
Twilight 5K: No age minimum
Twilight 10K: 12
Madtown Half Marathon: 14
Sorry, hand cycles (hand bikes, hand-crank devices, or other mechanically gear driven devices) are not permitted on the course. Athletes using push-rim wheelchairs are allowed.
Yes; as long as you can complete the course before course closures.
- Half marathon: 3.5 hour time limit from the time the last runner crosses the start line.
- Twilight 5K and 10K, the course is open until 9:45pm.
Run Madtown allows registered participants to change races within the following guidelines:
- After May 1, all changes must be done on-site at our Expo & Packet Pick UP. Please follow these instructions:
- Pick up your original race bib and shirt.
- Bring these items to Troubleshooting.
- Pay either the $10 fee to switch to a shorter distance, or the difference in cost between your race and the longer distance.
- Shirt exchanges may not be possible.
Sorry, Run Madtown is not able to offer refunds or deferrals, as we offer all runners the opportunity to transfer their registration to another person. (This includes those who experience illness, injury or job change or any other reason that may prevent them from participating in the event.)
If you are registered for the event, you agreed to the no refund and no deferral policy prior to submitting your online registration.